Monday, November 5, 2012

On The Day You Were Born: Mabel's Edition

Sweet Mabel. You were my hardest pregnancy. I was so tired/hot/huge (I have vowed not to be pregnant in the summer months again) and I couldn't wait for you to make your arrival. I had been having contractions for months. The week before your arrival I hardly slept because they were so strong during the night that I would have to relax and breathe through them. I was sure you would come before your due date. You were due on October 1st. I had an appointment with the midwife that morning and we had talked about inducing me if I hadn't had you by then. I was hoping I would get admitted that day so daddy took the day off and we went to breakfast with your sisters on the way to the appointment. I was only 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced before this appointment and when I went in there was no change. I opted to have my membranes stripped in hopes it would get labor going. The midwife (Gretchen Faucett, CNM) told me to wait and see what happened. She said that she would either see me at the hospital later that day if I went into labor on my own or she would admit me the next morning and break my water. In a desperate attempt to get things moving daddy and I took Nora and Stella to the zoo to walk around for a bit. I started bleeding and thought I would go into labor. I didn't. Later that evening we met Katie, Oliver and Alice at Gateway for some more walking and to meet Mike for dinner later at Litzas. Nothing worked. I drove back to Herriman discouraged, sore and tired. After being up most of the night with contractions we packed up the girls in the morning and headed back to SLC. We dropped your sisters off at Grandma Wagstaff's and headed to LDS Hospital. We arrived at 9:45 and I was hooked up to IV fluids. Gretchen came in to break my water and they started me on Pitocin to get my contractions more regular. By 11:30 the contractions were coming on strong, even though they had barely given me any Pitocin.   Dad had gone to grab something to eat and and soon as he walked in the room around 12:15 I told him to find a nurse, any nurse, and tell her I needed an epidural ASAP. The contractions during your labor were the worst pain I have ever felt. I thought since having already given birth twice I knew what to expect but I had no idea. I felt like I was dying. You weren't tolerating them very well and your heart rate kept dropping so they put me on oxygen and had me switch laying on different sides. Around 12:30 the anesthesiologist came in to administer the epidural. I'm sure the whole process only took 15 minutes or so but it felt like an eternity. I just laid there and cried while squeezing dad's hand as hard as I could. They checked me and I was at a 5-6 cm and completely effaced. The epidural kicked in and within 30 minutes I was 10 cm and ready to push. I pushed for about 15-20 minutes and after only four hours of labor there you were. October 2, 2012 at 1:58 p.m. Purple and perfect. The cord had been wrapped around your shoulder and then around your neck. I was so scared to see you so purple and not making any noise but you soon started screaming and pinked up. They laid you on my chest where you proceeded to poop all over me (just like Stella did) and then calmed right down. After I got some time with you resting on my chest they took you to get checked out while I delivered my placenta...which we saved to make into capsules...and got me all cleaned up. You were my easiest delivery once the pushing began. I didn't even tear! You weighed in at 7 lbs. 9 oz. and were 20 inches long. My tiniest baby yet. Our hospital stay was brief. We checked out 24 hours later. There were so many babies born that week that the hospital was crazy busy. It must have been the full moon. I love you to the stars sweet Mabel! I am a very lucky Momma.  

Photography by Christine Olson.

No comments: