Tuesday, January 15, 2013

What We Eat.

I had some friends ask me for my go-to list of meal ideas. And since I finally typed it up instead of just trying to read my old, folded up, food covered handwritten menu list I thought I would seize the opportunity to get it out into the blogosphere for referring back to if I can't find the original. So with no further adieu:


Menu Ideas

Soups and Stews:
Beef Stew
Lentil Stew
Taco Soup
Potato Cheese Soup
Corn Chowder
Tomato Basil Soup
Broccoli Cheese Soup

Breakfast for Dinner:
Buttermilk Pancakes
Frittata
Coffee Cake
Sweet Rolls
Ebelskivers
French Toast
            Captain Crunch French Toast
            Cinnamon Bread French Toast
Biscuits and Gravy
Breakfast Quesadillas
Waffles
            Pumpkin Waffles

Other:
Baked BBQ Chicken
Mexican Chicken Casserole with Corn Tortillas
Fettuccini Alfredo
Vegetable and Cheese Fettuccini
French Dip Sandwiches
Grilled Cheese
Chicken Quesadillas
Stir Fry
Funeral Potatoes
Green Chile and Chicken Enchiladas
Chicken Pot Pie
Vegetable Lasagna
Pizza
Cream Dried Beef on Toast
Classic Fajitas
Crock Pot Chicken and Black Bean Fajitas
Homemade Mac-n-cheese
Pasta with Sautéed Vegetables
7 Layer Dip
Chicken Pasta Salad
Broccoli Cheese Quinoa Casserole
Crock Pot Brown Sugar Chicken on Rice
Hawaiian Haystacks
Tacos
Meatballs and Mashed Potatoes
Tuna Melts
Grill (Weather permitting)
            Hot Dogs
            Hamburgers
            Chicken
            Turkey Burgers
            Veggies
Cheese Tortellini (Costco)

Notes:

I put myself on a grocery budget of $100 a week plus $100 a month for Costco (including diapers/toiletries/cleaning supplies). Most of these items get made only when ingredients are in season or on sale. I also have staple items that I only buy at Costco. And most of these items are made from scratch. So let me know if you need or want recipes.

-Waffles/Pancakes are usually accompanied by homemade coconut or cinnamon buttermilk syrup
-We make smoothies about every other day as a side dish for our meals. I throw in spinach/kale/avocado and my kids/hubby are none the wiser ;)
-Another go-to side dish is green beans. I buy the big bag of organic ones at Costco and sauté them with garlic, salt and pepper.
-On “pizza” days. It usually is one from Costco as well, the Kirkland Signature brand. I add dried basil and other toppings if we have them on hand.
-In cold weather I try to make our own honey whole wheat bread to accompany soups/pasta since it is way cheaper…and my little sister gave me her recipe that is surprisingly easy.

Costco Staples:
Frozen Chicken
Green Beans
Milk
Carnation Instant Breakfast
Frozen Fruit
Seasonal Fruits
            Berries
            Watermelon
            Cuties
Tortilla Chips
Seasonings
Canned Chicken

I'm sure there are items I am forgetting. But this is the current list. I usually ask my hubs and kids what they want that week and fill in the rest with what I feel like cooking. We also have one eat-out meal a week. We either pick up Dad for lunch or go out one night for dinner. (It usually ends up being Chick-fil-a per the kiddos request)

No comments: